Questions about fireplace products: Answers for everyone!

Share this post on:
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
Pinterest
Pinterest
Google+
Houzz
Follow by Email
RSS

In 2017, we received several questions on several topics related to fireplaces. We thought that our answers might benefit other fireplaces owners as well. Therefore, for the beginning of this year, we're sharing advice inspired by questions about conversion, wood-burning fireplaces, and carbon monoxide.

Q - If I install a zero-clearance wood fireplace, could I Install gas logs set in it later on and no longer burn wood ?

A -Some wood fireplaces have a gas knockout plate. It means that they can be ‘converted’ to gas, with a gas logs set. When buying your wood fireplace, make sure that this option is available and listed in the owner’s manual. If not, then that fireplace cannot be converted. As a rule of thumb, EPA High Efficient Wood Fireplaces do not have that option, while ‘Decorative Wood Fireplaces’ will for the most part have the gas knockout built-in. When contacting your local dealer, make it known to them that the possibility of converting to gas logs in the future is important to you. The dealer will then guide you toward the proper wood fireplace.

Q- We own an electric oil radiator. We also have a wood burner (not a stove). One day, our carbon monoxide detector alarm started when nothing was burning. We, therefore, opened the windows. It was the first time anything like that had ever happened.

We feel well. Our wood burner had worked all day long, but our windows were opened too. We closed them around 10 pm. We then let our wood burner works at low temperature. Around 2 am, the wood had been all consumed and the fire was out. Nothing else happened in our living room where are located our electric radiator, wood burner, and detector. Do you have any ideas why our carbon monoxide detector alarm would have started on its own?

A- The description of your problem would lead us to have a site visit. Your problem could be related to your chimney needing a good cleaning or maybe repair. It could also be that your home is very airtight, and we would need to supply fresh air to your fireplace. It could also be the environment around your house, like wind and nearby trees that would obstruct the air flow of your chimney. Many different factors to look into. We strongly recommend using our ‘store finder’ feature and locate the closest one to your home. Have them come in and look at your setup and they will advise you as what is best to do. This is important, your safety and the one of your family depends on this.

I have a wood burning fireplace that I am not using. It was in my house when I purchased it. I have an electric heater that I would like to place inside of the fireplace instead. Should have any concerns about carbon monoxide poisoning ?

Electric fireplaces represent absolutely no risk with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. You are safe that way. Simply make sure the electric fireplace is securely installed inside the fireplace and the electrical connection is made up to code. Then, you will be 100% sure your home is safe.

For more information, contact your local We Love Fire dealer.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment

Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
Pinterest
Pinterest
Google+
Houzz
Follow by Email
RSS